Tuesday 13 February 2018

Project: The Sleuth Movie house and maze blueprint

I love the movie Sleuth; based on the play by Anthony Shaffer this is a fantastic parody of the old fashioned who-dun-it of yesteryears. But, like any good parody (take Shaun of the dead for instance) it doesn't shy away from bringing some real terror into the mix.

Kenneth Brannagh's remake has its charms as well (at least he didn't try for a carbon copy). But I feel his version focuses on the wrong things -like the underlying homosexual theme- which takes away some of the charm of the original which is, after all, a high stakes poker game between two brilliant minds.

What I love about the movie is the acting competition between Sir Laurence Oliver and the (then not a sir yet) Michael Caine. Sir Laurence Oliver stating on record that -due to the quick pace of a movie  production- he wasn't on top of his game. He'd have preferred him and Michael doing a month of stage with this play to get a feel for each other.
While Michael Caine has gone on record stating that he was so muxch in awe of the great Olivier that he didn’t even know how to address the man. So let's just say that the two great actors met in the middle.

This movie really has two actors at the top of their game not only fighting each other in script but in their profession as actors as well. And the end result is magical.
The way Olivier delivers the line: "Love is the game - marriage the penalty." is delicious and the script is littered with these wonderful one-liners.
I cannot stress enough that anyone who likes a good Agatha Christie novel should see this movie (or Deathtrap - Michael Caine is the only actor who's been in the two of the most delicious parodies of the genre - It just makes me respect him more). It's that good!

The map
Now; I'm ‘hobbying’ along with this little blog of mine. I like it! But I certainly noticed that it are my photoshop projects that are read more. Especially when they deal with something popular (like Stranger Things). So yes I could map out Iron Man's travel around the world in the latest Marvel extravaganza. Or, staying true to myself, map out something I would actually google.
So here is my little blueprint of the house used in the movie Sleuth. As usual it is just me having fun.

I had, originally, intended to include all the furniture but as time went on (I’ve had this blueprint on my computer for over a year) I lost interest to start this massive task of including each and every silly little table. In short: Andrew Wyke has far too much stuff lying around in his living room.

Now, as a final note, you'll notice that I made this map from scratch. Why? One may surely ask. Because I didn't feel like using the standardized architectural tools on the internet. I wanted to draw something. So, there are probably a lot of little mistakes. That's fine, I can live with that.
Here is the full-size picture.

No comments: