Monday 21 May 2018

Random musing 4.

The happytime murders
My biggest fears appear to be justified: the upcoming Harrytimes Murders is exactly the movie I do not want (I wrote about this fear before link). This movie has been in ‘pre-production hell’ for almost fifteen years (always a bad sign). But when I saw the concept art a few years back it connected with me. Here I saw the potential of a gritty film noir set in the ‘40s or ’50 and played absolutely straight.

However, as the latest trailer shows, what we will get is a tongue-in-cheek, foul mouthed, bodily fluids excreting, present time, wannabe parody.

It’s the difference between an eloquent play on words and a fart joke.
I honestly dislike that the moviemakers decided to go this route instead of the more challenging one I imagined for them. So let’s see what happens when the movie comes out.

The passage
On a more positive note, I did just see the trailer for the new tv-show The passage. Based on the book by Justin Cronin it appears that this season of the series wisely decided to adapt only the first two-hundred pages of the massive first novel.
A wise choice since these is quite a clear break in the story at that point.
It’s also fun to see an African-American girl play the main part. A nice change from the blond girl on the book cover.
And even though the trailer, pretty much, shows too much. It does look like the chemistry between the characters is right.
I might be checking out this series. If not for the fact that I’ve never gotten around to reading Cronin’s other two novels in the trilogy (the twelve and the city of mirrors).

No comments: