Thursday 7 April 2016

Yigael's Wall -Damien: The Omen II.

I felt creative enough to finally reproduce the famous Yigael's wall from the movie Damien: the Omen II.

In this fiction Yigael's received a vision of the anti-Christ and depicted his likeness on a wall - from infant to grown man. Without spoiling the movie too much, centuries later the wall is rediscovered and naturally the moment poor ol’ William Holden sees it he learns for a fact that there's something terribly wrong with his godson Damien.

It is actually a rather interesting piece of art. I wouldn't want it in my living room but still. Here it is, I hope you enjoy it.
 
Now for some technical ranting on how I made it. You can skip it if you want.

Yigael's wall - 'Or how to give your computer a heart attack' would have been a better title. Anyway, my initial attempt was PrtSc-ning the heck out of my battered DVD-copy. But due to the flashlight in the scene it looked rather horrid. More screenshots would be needed to make the light in the pictures appear more natural. So I made a second attempt. Using a nifty program called Animget (Link) I told my computer to take screenshots at 10 ms intervals. So now I had a folder full of 5MB pictures.

Then I fired up my old photoshop and used the photomerge function to stitch them all together. To say the least my computer wasn't very pleased. Puffing and groaning like an asthmatic dragon it finally decided that he wasn’t going to do that for me.

So I tried some online photo-stitching tools to create this panorama. Now, I’m sure that these programs are great at their job, just not the ones I want them to do. So finally it tried a program that told me it could make a panorama out of a video. Great! So I ripped a video from my DVD and…the program forgot to tell me I couldn’t set the intervals. So basically after two hours of tinkering I decided to use the extra screenshots I got from animget and fix my original sketch by hand. Twenty minutes later I was done. Lesson learned. 

Now I'm sure there are some people out there who are better at photoshop than I am. So I'll include the .png's as well. Have fun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

love itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
ANN THORN

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this, so awesome

punkrockpub said...

I need to see a FULL PICTURE OF THE WALL, WITHOUT any obstacles in the way. I wish to build a scaled model diorama of the wall. Please, any help will greatly be appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Nice work!

Matthew said...

I wonder if the Production designers (Fred Harpman & Philip M. Jefferies) or the set decorator (Robert De Vestel) have a copy of the original picture.

Mikael S said...

Might be worth tracking them down on social media and sending a quick email. You never know they may have something of their work, if not the original then at least photos.

Anonymous said...

Is Yigael a fictional figure or did he exist in history ?