Tuesday 27 November 2018

Stranger Things map 3.0

Well, shoot...
There I was feeling all ´accomplished´ that I had actually managed to create a workable map of a TV-show.
There were some errors (of course there are), but overall this map worked (link).
And then the producers of the show bring out a book that has the complete season 2 map.
Well, shoot! :-)

One little critique.
Now, being a bit critical this official map doesn’t line up with even half of my research. The map the showrunners ‘allowed' is the so-called ‘Police map’.

The one used in the police station scene in Season 2.

There’s also the ‘Season one’-map, the ‘Bob’-map and the ‘Wherever the show was shot’-map (Butts county).
Those maps don’t line up. So, as a result, this official map given by the showrunners doesn’t line up with the whole of the series.

Loving it.
Sillyness aside, for me, I actually rather enjoy this move. What this proves is that Stranger Things is getting itself organized as a series -the map cements the mythology as it were.
I love this! Like Discworld before it the fantasy world of Hawkins Indiana becomes a lot more tangable.

It's also fun to see that I got a lot of things right (and a lot of things wrong).

So, it’s official: I’m stepping down as the unofficial cartographer of Hawkins Indiana.
But the show better make the placing of locations logical next season I'll be watching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was rewatching the show and in the van flip scene they are by elm street but biked from mikes house supposedly on maple street. the "police map" makes that physically impossible lmao